Sunday, December 7, 2008

Winter Biking

I started biking to work in July 2004 and I commute year round, rain or shine. For me, my hands are the first part to feel winter's pain, but it's only a 20 minute ride and a good pair of Lobster Gloves can get me through the coldest ride.

On the weekends I like to go 25-40 miles per ride, usually on the West Side Bikeway that runs along the icy Hudson river.

and it's much more challenging keeping your hands and feet warm for 2-3 hours of cold weather. Down to 35 degrees wind chill I'm fine with Lobster Gloves and Sidi Winter cycling shoes with Smart Wool socks as shown in the pictures below.



But when the wind chill goes below zero I turn to two very cool gadgets - my Sidi Toaster heated insoles which are wirelessly remote controlled


and my Zanier Heat-GX heated gloves.


Both feature rechargeable lithium ion batteries and can keep your hands and feet at room temperature for over 5 hours per charge. Just this past weekend I did 25 miles each day in 34 degree, 22 degree wind chill cold, and remained comfortable the entire way. I'm not going to kid you and say it's like riding in July, but at least your legs are still the part of your body that feels the most pain from the cycling.

The insoles are $300, the gloves $350. Being able to do your favorite outdoor activity year round - priceless.

No comments: