Friday, April 25, 2008

My favorite pastime




I used to spend all my spare time writing and recording original music. But in 2004 I noticed my blood pressure was no longer easily managed by medication alone and my doctor told me that walking 10 blocks to work did not qualify as aerobic activity. Then my office moved 2.5 miles away - accessible only by subway. Hating the subway - avoiding has kept NYC liveable for the past 10 years - I discovered folding bikes. My favorite brand is Dahon http://www.dahon.com/ and I have two of their bikes.


One that I ride to work at the Food Network in Chelsea Market every day, 365 days a year, rain or shine on my Dahon Helios SL. The key is clothing. To get through the winter I rely on a Craft Balaclava for the head, Pearl Izumi Loster Gloves for the hands, Gore-tex parka for the torso, and Smartwool heavy socks for the feet. The ride is only 20 minutes, so even the coldest 15 degree morning is bearable when dressed right.




On weekends I ride for fun and fitness on my folding racing bike - a Dahon Jetsream XP. I swear by Gore Bike Wear clothing, Sidi shoes, and my Garmin Edge 305 GPS heart rate trainer.
This winter I discovered Sidi Toaster heated insoles. When paired with Sidi Diablo winter biking shoes I was able to ride in 24 degree weather for over 2 hours comfortably. There's a great review here:
more info here:
They're expensive, but worth every penny if you love to ride despite the weather.
The first pair of Toaster I bought had a problem when after 3 months the right insole would go dead after a few minutes of use. The online retailer I bought them from was wonderful. http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ They replaced the pair for free right away. I even bought a second pair so that I'll always be prepared next winter - I can't go a day without my Toasters.







No comments: