Friday, May 2, 2008

One Legged Bike Messenger



I've been ride my folding bike to work every day since 2004 and most days it's a real joy cruising through the country's most exciting city,
darting around the taxicabs and people,
soaking in the sounds and sights.

But from December to February, things can get pretty nasty when the temperature drops below freezing, the wind chill kicks in, and the snow and sleet become the only soaking in.


One day I was about half-way to the office in a sleet storm, cursing the weather under my breath. Feeling sorry for myself that my company had moved my office across town, from just a short 10 minute walk from home, to a 60 minute walk, 40 minute bus ride or 15 minute bike ride. I was riding across 34th street, musing in my head about more reasons to feel "unfortunate" when Dexter Benjamin whizzed by me.



You see, Dexter only has one leg, and as he passed, enduring the same sleet storm as me, he looked back and flashed a smile so bright that it shone like a beacon through the grey winter fog.



And all of a sudden I felt ashamed of myself. Ashamed for forgetting how good I have it. How lucky I am to have two healthy legs to carry me to work every day.

Now I sort of look forward to riding in bad weather, because it always reminds me of that one legged bike messenger and the special message he had for me one winter day.

1 comment:

Felipe said...

awesome pictures!!!